Friday 26 October 2007

Pretty Pumpkins

Pin It Now!

Pumpkins are one of the things I really like about this time of year. Not only do they make for some great decorations, but I also really enjoy eating them in all sorts of different ways.

Many recipes ask for pumpkin puree, but as it's not easily available in the shops here in the UK, I make my own. You can freeze it and use it in all kinds of recipes from Pumpkin Pie to Pumpkin & Courgette Bread. I'll be posting some of the recipes as I'll be making them over the next weeks. But for now, here is how I make the puree. I use the orange culinary pumpkins that are smaller than the ones you use for carving, they have a better flavour in my opinion...

Easy Peasy Pumpkin Puree

1 pumpkin (of course you can use more if you like) is all you need.

Preaheat your oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.

Cut the pumpkin in half or into quarters if they are large and remove all the seeds and stringy bits. (You can keep the seeds to roast them.)

Place the pumpkin quarters, skin side down, onto a large baking tray and roast them for approximately one hour, it might take a little longer depending on the size of your pumpkin.

You can check if it is done by piercing it with a fork, the flesh should be soft.

Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.

Now cut off the peel, or you might find it easier to scoop the flesh out with a spoon.

Puree in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth.

You can use the puree straight away or freeze it in portions to use in your recipes later on.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Nic said...

Hi Sylvie!
Welcome to the blogging world!
Your photo of the pumpkins is beautiful!
I bet this recipe is so much better than the canned stuff, I'll have to try it sometime.

Tulip said...

My kids love carving pumpkins, so I always have the inards left for me to do something with. I wonder if I could follow your instructions with the same results? I will give it a try and let you know!

Marie Rayner said...

Wow Sylvie, welldone!! This looks great! Now that you have started blogging you will find that it's quite addictive! Beautiful photo. Pumpkin that you cook and puree yourself is infinitely better than the canned stuff! I love it roasted and then pureed. Roasting really brings out the sweetness! Looking forward to your next entry!

lindsey said...

Hi Sylvie, Thank you for spurring me on to make something out of pumpkins, lovely photo and great blog, well done.