Monday 17 May 2010

Carrot and Ginger Soup

Pin It Now!

It's been unusually cold here in Manchester. It looks like mid May outside, beautiful and green and fresh, but temperature-wise it feels more like March. Therefore soup is definitely still featuring on the menu regularly.

I was making books in Lucy's studio, while she was engaged in skill sharing excercises with M and as a thank you for letting me use her space and time I brought along Carrot and Ginger Soup for lunch. We all needed it as it was decidely brass monkeys in the studio and it helped to warm our bellies and the cockles of our hearts.

Photobucket

Carrot and Ginger Soup
(serves 4)

2 onions, peeled and chopped
a large knob of butter
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
6 carrots, cleaned and chopped
3cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped very finely
1 litre vegetable stock
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
a pinch of cayenne pepper, optional

Melt the butter in a large stock pot and sweat the onions over low heat until softend, but not browned for about 15 minutes.

Add the potatoes, carrots, ginger and stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Blitz in a food processor or with a stick blender until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.

Add this point I like to add a pinch of cayenne for a little extra heat, but that's entirely optional.

Serve hot with crusty bread.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Maninas said...

This unseasonal weather makes me think of carrot soup, too. (I just posted one yesterday!)

I love your action photo, btw!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We still need soup some days to comfort our souls. We will get into viccychoise territory soon enough:D

Thorsten said...

Here in Bonn (Germany) it is as cold as in Manchester. So what can be better than a hot warming and comforting soup?

Interesting top down shot with some action as Maninas already mentioned it.

Thorsten

Lucie said...

I think everyone is sick of the cold, it is set to warm up this week - at long last hey. This soup looks divine!

Sylvie said...

Maninas, soup is just the best, isn't it! The photo was taken with my friend's blackberry as I didn't have my camera on me.

Val, at the moment it feels like vichychoise is way of yet, but it's supposed to get better.

Thorsten, it was just a quick shot taken with a phone camera, but it shows that sometimes it's not all about the 'perfect' food shot.

Lucie, I hope you're right about the weather. i want to get my t-shirts out!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

This is my kind if soup Sylvie. I am trying to ignore the weather and moving on to salads, although I am still tucking into comfort food like lasagne and curry. Still, it is supposed to be getting warmer this week. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

Marie Rayner said...

That soup looks great Sylvie! It has been very cold here hasn't it! Great picture! xxoo

Hilary said...

Love this photo!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Slyvie

Unfortunately I have some very sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, she has passed away. Could you please pass by my blog. I have written up a tribute for her on my blog and would like everyone who knew her to leave a comment as I will be printing out all the comments to send onto her husband.

Maria
x

Earthy Toasty Spicy said...

This looks delicious! :) I love ginger in my soup - I'll definitely have to try this recipe out.