Wednesday 4 January 2012

Spaghetti with Anchovies and Pistachio

Pin It Now!

I had some left-over anchovy and nothing much else in the fridge, so went searching for something to make and found this recipe for Spaghetti with Anchovy and Pistachio on Cook is Good blog. I guess it's a variation on the classic Sicillian Pasta with Anchovies and Breadcrumbs.

My French is more than rusty, but with a little help of google translate I managed to get there in the end. I don't think it'll become my favourite ever spaghetti dish, but it's a good one for a quick midweek dinner, as it is more or less done in the time it takes to cook the spaghetti and the saltiness from the anchovies and crunch from the pistachios make for an interesting dish. If you like your pasta slathered with sauce this isn't one for you though.

Photobucket
Spaghetti with Anchovies and Pistachios (serves 2)

250
g spaghetti
40g anchovy fillets in oil
a generous handful of pistachios, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
salt

Cook your spaghetti al dente.

While the spaghetti are cooking, place the anchovies and oil they come in in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat.

Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic.

Sautee until the anchovies have falled apart and set aside.

Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid.

Add the spaghetti to the pan with the anchovies and return to a low heat.

Stir until well coated and leave on the heat for a couple of minutes, adding a little of the cooking liquid until your 'sauce' has the desired consistency.

Add the pistachios, keeping a few aside to sprinkle over the top once plated.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

girls who like to gorge said...

YUM! This looks fabulous and so easy! x

Lucie said...

My mouth is watering - this looks delish! Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Love Lucie xx

Marie Rayner said...

This looks fabulous Sylvie. I bet it would make a great lunch on a smaller scale. Nom! Nom!

Marco said...

Seems to be pretty easy. I always think about Futurama when I hear about Anchovies. Can't really tell you why.

Sylvie said...

GWLG, it was pretty straight forward to make and full of flavour.

Lucie, I did. Thank you very mucjh. I hope your holiday season was merry, too!

Marie, lunch, dinner, picnic, it's one of those recipes that can work on many different occassions.

Marco, you can't say something like that and then not tell!

lucylastic said...

Hi Sylvie, I also thought that literally a dash of tomato sauce/puree/squashed fresh tomato would help on the 'sauce' front, I love anchovies though, so will give this a go. I admire you for sticking to your recipe/cooking plan - I'm with you - it's all about prioritising where we spend, not what exactly what we spend it on!!! ;-) Lucy