Wednesday 31 October 2012

Boozy Banana Bread

Pin It Now!

If you are anything like me, you will occasionally find some rather yucky sad looking bananas in your kitchen or your fruit bowl or wherever you keep your bananas. I mean the ones that aren't even really freckled any longer, but are turning a monochrome brown. I used to just throw bananas in the freezer before they got to that state, perfect for smoothies straight from frozen, no need for ice cubes. But since my current freezer compartment is teeny-tiny and space is at a total premium I now suffer a case of brown bananas more regularly. That's when I know it's time to make banana bread

Photobucket

If you have ever googled banana bread recipes you will know that there is a nearly infinite number of recipes out there. So you might ask if the world really need another blog post about Banana Bread? Well, I think so and this one is my absolute favourite. I like the rum and cinnamon, as well as the walnuts, but feel free to experiment with the spices, types of booze or add chocolate chips instead of the nuts.

Photobucket

Boozy Banana Bread (1 loaf)

3 to 4 ripe bananas, mashed well with a fork
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup muscovado sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons spiced rum, or rum, or bourbon or whatever else takes your fancy
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of walnuts

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

Grease a loaf tin.

Mix the butter and mashed banana in large mixing bowl. You won't need a mixer for any of this. A wooden spoon will do.

Add the sugar, egg, vanilla and booze and mix in well.

Add the spices and stir again.

Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mix and combine.

Finally add the flour and stir and once combined pour into your prepared loaf tin.

Place in the centre of the oven. Check after 50 minutes if done by inserting a wooden skewer in the middle. If it comes out clean, the cake is done if there is still some batter clinging to the skewer return to oven for another 10 minutes. Check again etc.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then carefully remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious. I love banana breads. Thanks for sharing.
Buy Here Pay Here

Julie Hargreaves said...

very nice blog i will visit again

Murat said...

Ohhh Great. I liked.

Thanks

Murat

Anonymous said...

that banana bread looks wonderful - I seem to have those same brown bananas in my kitchen - a perfect use for them!
Mary x

Biscuits Online said...

Nice blog.. Thanks for sharing this information with us

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

this sounds great and really yum, I often have squishy bananas left in the fruit bowl so might try this :) x

TeaLovingShamrock said...

I can't even make you understand how much I love banana bread because there isn't a word for it. I could live on this stuff, so any post of it makes my day! Interesting recipe, I'll give it a try!

http://tealovingshamrock.blogspot.ie/

Unknown said...

yum! I love banana bread!