Tuesday 6 May 2008

I'm back

Pin It Now!

I got back from Germany early on Monday morning and have just about recovered from far too little sleep over the past week or so.

The earlier trip to Glasgow was lovely, but apart from discovering that Mother's Pride Pan Bread is great for toasting and being bought a thistle shaped wooden porridge spurtle, I don't really have any foodie things to share.

The trip home to Germany was a bit more relevant when it comes to food blogging, I guess. I came back with two great cake recipes, that I'll share over the next couple of weeks or so and I bought some nice goodies, such as Strawberry vinegar (which is supposed to be great mixed with Cava) and a lovely Potatas Bravas dip mix from new delicatessen shop in my hometown. I would have probably bought loads more stuff, but I had only taken my small weekend trolley instead of the usual suitcase.

My sister is coming over in the car in a couple of months though, so I have already started to to write a list of things for her to bring over. I also had the first BBQ of the season at my friends house, to which I brought an old favourite of mine, Colourful Orzo Salad.

Photobucket

I got this recipe from the web originally, but have changed some of the ingredients and added things to my liking. The original called for parsley instead of fresh coriander for example, but I don't really like it all that much. I also started adding feta cheese after the first few times of making it and now never make it without. The salad looks pretty and there usually isn't any left.

Colourful Orzo Salad (serves 4-6)

1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, diced finely
1 1/2 cups bell pepper (red, green and yellow)
1 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 small block of feta cheese, cubed

Cook the orzo according to the instructions on the packet in plenty of salt water.

In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper and garlic.

Add the carrot, peppers, onion and cooked orzo (there is no need to cool it first, and if you like you can serve the salad warm).

Stir well, making sure everything gets coated with the oil/lemon mix.

Add the fresh coriander and feta cheese and carefully mix into the salad, so that the feta doesn't break up too much.

Photobucket

16 comments:

Peter M said...

Welcome Sylvie, hope your visit to Germany got you caught up with family and that you have some Orzo salad left for me.

Suzana said...

Welcome back Sylvie! Orzo salad is a recent favourite of mine - will have to try it with Feta cheese. Yummy, yummy!

Gloria Baker said...

Sylvie, so good you come back. This salad look really nice and yummy! x Gloria

Raquel said...

Sylvie: So good to have you back. That orzo salad looks really good, Will have to try that if it ever warms up enough to have a BBQ. The strawberry vinegar sounds delish too.

Ginny said...

Welcome back! The orzo salad looks excellent! I'm looking forward to post to comes...cakes definitely have my interest! :)

Marie Rayner said...

Welcome back Sylvie! Great looking salad and I LOVE the blue bowl!

test it comm said...

Welcome back! That salad looks tasty. I am looking forward to hearing more about the cakes.

Rosie said...

Welcome back Sylvie so pleased to *see* you!!

Gosh that Orzo Salad looks wonderful just look at all those colours WOW!!

Rosie x

Sylvie said...

Peter, I had a lovely time. Thanks. If only I could post some it'd be winging it's way to Canada right now.

Suzanna, I really like the addition of the feta, it adds a nice creamy and saltiness.

Gloria, thanks.

Raquel, I hope you get some nice weather soon.

Ginny, I promise I'll post them. I've got the pics, just need to get around to translating the recipes.

Marie, I got that bowl way back when I was a teenager and it still lives at my mum's house.

Kevin, the cakes will be coming soon, I promise.

Rosie, thanks and you're right the colours are pretty good, which always helps to get people to try it!

Deborah said...

That is a gorgeous salad! It's always more fun to eat things that are so colorful!

Jan said...

That salad looks yummy Sylvie - Glad you got back safe and sound and had a good time - Jan x

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Welcome back Sylvie...sounds like you had a great time. Love the salad too by the way:D

Maggie said...

I think that salad would go well with my forthcoming BBQ's.
The large Tesco's (which is a long way from where I live) sell orzo, otherwise its impossible to find it.
The salad looks really colourful.

Melissa said...

Welcome home! That looks wonderful!

Angela said...

Hi Sylvie, good to have you back. I laughed when you said pan bread is great for toasting, I love it, especially when I manage to open the end with the thick heel first, instead of waiting till the end of the loaf. I nearly sent you a porridge spurtle at Christmas, DD#3 will be taking one to Germany on her trip to swap.

Sylvie said...

Deborah, there is a German saying that translates as something like "The eye also eats" and I couldn't agree more.

Jan, thanks. I did have a lovely time.

bellini valli, I did, thanks.

Magaret, that's the only place I can get it over here too. I used to bring it over from Germany, but now my local Tesco stocks orzo.

Melissa, thank you.

Angela, I have been to Scotland countless times, I can't believe I have never discovered pan bread before. I'm sure the family your daughter stays with will love the spurtle!