Monday 12 October 2009

Flapjack

Pin It Now!

Surely flapjack is something everyone likes, isn't it?! I don't mean American flapjacks (even though I guess most people like them too), but the chewy, crunchy, oaty English kind.

I'm trying not to reach for a chocolate time every time I have a little slump and have other snacks instead. I know flapjacks are still laden with calories, probably more so than some chocolate bars, but being packed full of oats, and as in this case fruit and seeds at least the energy will sustain me for a while. Plus of course I knows everything that goes into them and they are sugary enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. In fact this recipe was a little on the sweet side and I'd probably reduce the amount of syrup or sugar next time I'll make them. Whether you make them with just oats or you play around with various additions is up to you. I like varying between different combinations of dried apricots, cranberries, nuts and seeds.



English Flapjacks

8oz (jumbo) porridge oats
4oz butter, unsalted
4oz golden syrup (you can use corn syrup or maple syrup if you can't find corn syrup in the US)
4oz brown sugar

optional ingredients

2oz craisins or raisins
2oz chopped dried fruit
2oz nuts or seeds
2oz chocolate chips

(I used a combination of craisins and vanilla flavoured sunflower and pumpkin seeds.)

Preheat your oven to 180C.

In a sauce pan melt the butter, together with the syrup and sugar over low heat, stirring to combine.

Remove from heat and add the oats and any of the optional ingredients you are using.

Spoon into a square, paper lined cake pan or oven dish. Spread out and smooth with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.

Leave to cool for about half an hour, cut into squares or slices and leave in the pan until cooled completely.

The flapjacks will keep for about a week or a little longer if stored in an air tight container, but they won't last that long!

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Those look great Sylvie. I made flapjacks myself for the first time the other week. I made mine plain for this first excursion but your additions sound fabulous!

Jen said...

What a brilliant blog - just stumbled over it while reading CottageSmallHolder, and found your recipe for flapjack, which I immediatley got up and made, with the addition of golden sultanas, sunflower seeds and brown sugar instead of normal. Delicious!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Yum, they look really good! I haven't made my own flapjacks for years.

Jenny said...

This has got me craving oats! I seemed to have skipped the flapjack stage and gone straight on to more advanced baking, perhaps it is time to go back to basics and give the flapjack a try :D

George@CulinaryTravels said...

I adore flapjacks, even though they're laden with sugar the oats somehow make them feel healthy.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I love flapjacks. When I get my kitchen back I will have a go at these.

Chelsea said...

Funny - I had no idea what to expect of 'the English kind' of flapjacks... I didn't know of any kind other than our American pancake-type!

Your flapjacks (granola bars to me!) look quite good. Thanks for the education!

Maggie said...

I love the flapjack recipe, especially as you have made them with jumbo oats instead of the smaller oats. They look delicious.

Nic said...

I adore flapjacks, haven't had them in a while though.