Tuesday 8 April 2008

Quick as a Rocket Pasta

Pin It Now!

See what I've done there?! My excuse for this bad pun is, that today was my first day back at work after being off for two weeks. Therefore my brain is a little frazzled. Also, the plan was to go for a run tonight, but instead I'm on the sofa wanting tea and biscuits. There is just no way I'm gonna get my trainers and not-so-sexy lycra stuff out and face the hills. I just want to be lazy now and needed immediate comfort when I got in, so I cooked some pasta.

Photobucket

This is one of those dishes that's ideal for a weeknight, when you get in from work and just don't want to spend more then twenty minutes in the kitchen but still want a tasty homemade meal. Given the amount of garlic at least it's ideal if you don't have an important business meeting the next day. The dish is quite open for experimentation, for example try adding king prawns or use plenty of chopped basil instead of the rocket (arugula).


Photobucket

Pasta with Garlic, Tomatoes and Rocket (serves 2)

The amounts aren't exact, it doesn't matter if you use a little more or less of something.

olive oil
2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
2-3 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped roughly
3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
a large handful of rocket (arugula)
8 mini balls of buffalo mozzarella (optional)
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 packet of fresh pasta (enough for two), cooked and drained

In a heavy based pan heat a generous amount of olive oil (about 3 tbsp).

Add the garlic and sautee over a very low heat for about 3-5 minutes, you don't want it to brown, just soften. Stir regularly.

Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for another five minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add the cooked pasta, parmesan and rocket and stir until all the pasta is coated and the rocket is starting to wilt. If you are using the mozzarella add it now as well.

Serve straight away, ideally with a large glass of red wine!




19 comments:

Peter M said...

Sylvie, I've only had rocket in salads but I'm going to try this out when they grow in the garden...nicely photographed.

test it comm said...

That looks tasty and sounds quick. I have never used rocket in a pasta. I will have to try it.

Angela said...

Sylvie, the pasta looks delicious. I love pasta and have a really good book called the quick after work pasta cookbook. I will try and post some on Zaar as they are so simple and tasty.

kmlnx said...

This looks yummy and very fast to do a perfect quick tea for after college.

Nic said...

I've not used rocket in this way before - great idea! Super pasta photo too.

Jan said...

I like the look and sound of that Sylvie - another recipe on my must make list!

Marie Rayner said...

Looks like comfort food to me Sylvie! I love rocket in any way shape or form. It almost tastes meaty to me and it has a lovely bite!

Jules said...

Sylvie - this looks delicious and a perfect midweek dinner.

Gloria Baker said...

Sylviem, really look delicious.xxGloria

Anonymous said...

I love quick pasta dishes like this, but I would not havev thought of arugula. Looks good!

Sylvie said...

Peter, Kevin, Nic and Beth, I'm sure you would like it. It doesn't wilt too much and adds that lovely peppery taste. It's great in combination with (smoked) salmon and pasta as well.

Angela, I'd love to see some of those recipes.

Kerry and Jules, it's literally done in fifteen minutes.

Jan, if you like it let me know what you think!

Marie, I'm like you any way is good for me, I love it in sandwiches as well.

Gloria, thanks.

marias23 said...

wow! just look at those luscious mozza!

Melissa said...

I didn't know there were other names for arugula...LOL. The pictures are gorgeous! Check out my blog again. I had a great idea for my 50th post, but you, being the great person that you are, already managed to comment on my previous post!

Anonymous said...

You gotta love pasta for a quick, gourmet meal..I looks fantastic. I never would have thought of using arugula in this way. Must try!

RecipeGirl said...

This looks like a great dish. Funny- I've not ever heard of arugula referred to as "rocket" before! It's great on pizza too.

Sylvie said...

Marias23, I love those little balls of fresh mozzarella. They are great in salads or to use in appetizers.

Melissa, thanks you so much.

Marye, give it a go, I'm sure you'll like it.

RecipeGirl, it's what we call arugula here in the UK, just like we call eggplant aubergine and zucchini is cougette here. I love it on pizza, too!

Rosie said...

Sylvie this really looks delicious and what great presentation :)

Rosie x

Sylvie said...

Thanks Rosie.

Sam said...

This looks great for a quick dinner, I love pasta! This is on my "must try" list!!

Love the blog, bookmarked it!
Sam