Monday 15 June 2009

Peperonata

Pin It Now!

This is another of those recipes that is perfect for midweek dinner, or as in my case if you have some peppers that need using.

I had never heard of peperonata until my brother cooked it once a couple of years ago at my mum and dad's house. I've made it quite often since and I just realised that I had never blogged about it. How could that happen? It really is one of those simple ingredients, simple cooking and maximum satisfaction recipes. You can have it warm with pasta as I did tonight, but it is also great cold spread on fresh, crusty bread or as an addition to a tapas table.



Peperonata (serves 4)

good quality olive oil
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
2 red onions, sliced
4 vine ripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
a good glug of balsamic vinegar
a handfull of chopped flat leaf parsley (I use basil as I like it better)
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
freshly grated parmesan

Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom frying pan.

Add the onion and the pepper and sautee over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. You want everything to soften but not brown.

Add the tomatoes, garlic balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Stir, cover and continue to sautee over a low to medium heat for about 20 minutes or so. Stir occasionally.

Add the parsley or basil, some parmesan and stir to mix.

If you are serving it with pasta, mix in the cooked pasta and top with plenty more parmesan.

Otherwise allow to cool before serving. You can make it a day in advance and keep it in the fridge.

10 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Sylvie, how are you? I love peppers, this looks delicious.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I had also envisioned peperonata with pasta....so good:D

Sean said...

This sounds delicious! I love how colorful the dish is also

Terry said...

Hi
Wow this sounds yummy.
I have not seen this great recipe before.
Thank you for sharing .
I am looking forward to testing it out.
Blessings .

Eralda LT said...

So fresh, delicious, and beautiful. Easy enough for one of those evenings when cooking just sounds too much. Thanks for sharing. Oh and I love the "glug of balsamic." Made me laugh out loud. :)

Marie Rayner said...

Sylvie, that looks incredibly delicious, especially with the pasta!
I think simple dishes are sometimes the tastiest of all!

Sam said...

I love this kind of food! It looks like a perfect match for pasta.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Sylvie, this look so delicious - just what I'd love to sit down and eat now!

Sylvie said...

Angela, I'm fine thanks. Busy, busy but that's not always a bad thing, I guess.

Val, I do like it with pasta, but also with some goat's cheese on bread.

Sean, thanks. My sister bought the plate for me at Christmas.

Terry, I hope you'll like it as much as I do.

Eralda, I never measure so I hope people will know what a glug is!

Marie, you're right, simple is often good.

Sam, me to!

Rosie, come on over I'll make you some. ;o)

Lori said...

Its like a piperade that I did for some ratatouille. I love the colors on the plate and in the food. Very eye catching.