Tuesday 14 April 2009

Sausage and Potato Goulash

Pin It Now!

The girls visit is slowly drawing to a close. I have to put them on a plane back to Germany on Thursday, where I'm sure their parents will be more than happy to see them after their ten day stay with me in England.

Tomorrow evening we're all invited over for dinner at my friend J's house, so I only had to come up with one more kid-friendly recipe to keep them happy. We already had the usual spaghetti bolognese, chicken and chips, pizza and tacos, so I tried to get some inspiration by looking through some of my cookbooks. When flicking through Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros, one of my favourite cookbooks, I came across this recipe for Sausage and Potato Goulash. I read it out to N and L and they both thought it sounded good, so off to the supermarket we went to buy the ingredients.



I halved the recipe when I made it, but below you find it as it's printed in the book. I also added some carrots and used vegetable stock instead of water for extra flavour. The result was a hearty, rustic meal that was enjoyed by all three of us. In fact the kids asked if we could have it again tomorrow. That's what I call a result.

Sausage and Potato Goulash (serves 8)

750gr good quality sausage, sliced into 1cm chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
30gr butter
1 large red onion, chopped finely
1-2 tsp sweet paprika
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
250gr chopped tomatoes from a tin
a piece of cassia bark or 1/2 cinamon stick (I used the cinnamon stick)
1 bay leaf
500ml water
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a large heavy based pan and fry the onion for a few minutes.

Add the paprika, stir and fry for another minute, before adding the sausage.

Fry the sausage until it begins to brown in places.

Add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the parsley, stir, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop it from sticking.

If the potatoes are not quite done after that time turn the heat off and continue to steam them by just leaving the lid on the pan until they are done.

Add the parsley just before serving.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds lovely. I have the same book but am ashamed to say I've never cooked anything from it :(

I love the picture you've taken, beautiful dish.

Sylvie said...

Ginger, nothing to be ashamed of. I've got plenty of cookbooks that I've never used as well.

Alex said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - glad I came across yours too... You have the best blog name ever! Fancy swapping links?

Marie Rayner said...

That is my absolute favourite cookbook of all time Sylvie. I've cooked lots out of it. Your dish looks fabulous! I am not surprised your little guests enjoyed it. I am sure they will miss your good cooking when they leave!

Sam said...

I've heard good things about Tessa Kiros' books, this recipe looks gorgeous!

Jan said...

Great recipe and lovely photos Sylvie!

Patchwork Dragon said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your young visitors Sylvie. That recipe sounds delicious!!

Anonymous said...

MMMM that goulash looks delish, Sylvie!

J.L. Danger said...

OH MY GOODNESS this looks so delicious!

Maggie said...

Great book and recipe. Looks delicious.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Not just for kids I'd say and sure to be delicious:D

test it comm said...

This sounds tasty! I like the cinnamon in it for a hint of the exotic.