Thursday 3 June 2010

Fruity Tiramisu

Pin It Now!

Okay, I hold my hands up, I didn't make this one. Lucy did. But, as it was made in my kitchen and eaten in my flat, from my bowls and with my spoons, I feel like I can share it here.

Photobucket

Every couple of months or so I meet with four friends and fellow artists to talk about the projects we're working on. It's all about mutual support and constructive criticism. All of us really enjoy those get togethers and, as well as the talk about our practice, of course we also involve food, drink and chat about life in general.

For our session a couple of weeks ago Lucy, who doesn't like coffee, made Fruity Tiramisu and we all couldn't stop ourselves from having a second helping. There was only a tiny little bit left at the end, which J's partner was lucky enough to get in a doggy bag. It's a good job that none of us is pregnant. It doesn't have alcohol in it like a regular tiramisu, but it does contain raw eggs, so make sure they are really fresh.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to take a picture, so all you get is a photo of the table with the half eaten tiramisu.

Photobucket

Fruity Tiramisu (serves 6)

4 really fresh eggs, seperated
150g caster sugar
30-40 sponge fingers
300ml orange juice
250g mascarpone cheese
2tsp vanilla essence
mixed fruit of your choice, such as starwberries, kiwi fruit, banana, blueberries etc.
a pinch of cinnamon

Place a heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water and with an electric whisk beat the egg yolks and sugar in it, until pale, doubled in volume and creamy.

remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring from time to time.

Dip half the sponge fingers quickly in the orange juice, don't let them soak it up and use them to line the bottom of a square flat dish.

Once your egg mixture is cooled, gardually fold the mascarpone cheese into the mixture, using a wooden spoon.

Then carefully add the vanilla essence and fold in.

In a clean bowl and using a clean electric whisk, beat the egg whites until stiff.

Carefully fold them into the mascarpone and egg yolk mix.

Slice/chop your fruit, keeping a little aside for garnishing and carefully stir it into the mix.

Pour half of it over the sponge fingers.

Dip the rest of the sponge fingers into the orange juice and arrange in another layer on top of the mascarpone/egg mix.

Cover with the rest of the mascarpone/egg mix.

Cover with cling film and refridgerate for a minimum of 2 hours or over night.

Top with some more sliced fruit for garnish and dust with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Constructive criticism with food. I think they should make it compulsory that these two go together. Sounds gorgeous! Hope you're well. x

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Mascarpone and fruit all in delicious layers. I love the fact that it is seasonal and you can use whatever fruit is in season.

La Bella Cooks said...

This is such a great idea to use seasonal fruits. What a fun recipe!

Marie Rayner said...

YUm, Yum, YUM!

Sylvie said...

Amanda, I'm well, thanks! I hope you are too!

Val, you're right, it could be different every single time!

Bridgett, it is fun and really yummy.

Marie, yum indeed.

Chelsea said...

Oh, that does sound good. (and what cute dishes!)

Unknown said...

Wish I had such a lovely support group and tiramasu

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

That looks good - a great variation on the usual coffee/choc combo!

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

This is the cutest blog!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the way this sounds! I'm new to your blog and have spent some time today reading your earlier posts. I really like your recipes and will be back often to see what else you have conjured up. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

David Hall said...

Oh yes! Heaven!

Lucie said...

Lovely recipe - great summer food! Lucie x