Saturday 2 February 2008

Saturday's Dinner: Souvlaki

Pin It Now!

The Souvlaki was planned for Friday night, but there was just too much of the curry from Wednesday left, so we finished that first and had the Souvlaki tonight.

I really like Souvlaki, not only does it remind me of some Greek holidays, but it always tastes so fresh and summery to me. It's a great recipe for a BBQ, but at this time of year I either put it under the grill or I dust of my George Foreman Grill and make them on there, just as I did tonight.

I don't know how authentic this is, especially the addition or Worcester Sauce or Balsamic Vinegar, but it's the way I do it. This is an amalgamation of many different recipes, plus own experiments over time.

Photobucket

Souvlaki

1 lemon, juice of
3tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp Worcester Sauce or Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp oregano
1 sprig of rosemary
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 pinch of pepper flakes
1 - 1 1/2 lb lean pork loin steak, cut into cubes

In a bowl or tupperware type container mix together all ingredients, apart from the pork.

Add the pork and make sure all of it gets well coated with the marinade.

Cover and chill for anywhere between 3-8 hours.

Thread onto bamboo skewers (if you soak them in water first, they won't burn) and grill, turning occasionally until cooked.

Squeeze extra lemon over the meat once grilled if you like.

Serve on flatbread or in pita pockets with salad, tomatoes, red onion and plenty of tzatziki.





4 comments:

Jules said...

I really like the sound of this.

Marie Rayner said...

That looks so good Sylvie. I never thought of doing it on my foreman grill. I shall give this a try! Thanks!

Nic said...

Sylvie - you've got me wishing for summer now - this looks delicious!

Tulip said...

Oh WOW, I've just got to have some of these before the summer!