Wednesday 6 February 2008

Shrove Tuesday means Pancake Day

Pin It Now!

Yesterday was Pancake Day here in the UK. You can always tell weeks early that it's coming up as the shops are full of prepared batter, batter mixes and all kinds of syrups to have with the pancakes. It's so easy and quick to make your own pancake batter though, that I don't really get why you'd want to buy a ready mix.

Often when I make pancakes I will fill them with ham, mushrooms and cheese or other savoury fillings, but yesterday we had them just as they are with some sugar and lemon. D. also had one with Golden Syrup, but I'm not that keen, so stuck with sugar and lemon.

Photobucket

They are also good with sliced apples, cherries or blueberries. Just spread the fruit across the batter as soon as you have poured it in the pan.

Photobucket

Pancakes

250 gr flour
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 litre milk

Mix all the ingredients until you have a smooth batter. You can give your arms a work out by using a whisk or use an electric mixer if you prefer.

Ideally rest the batter for 30 minutes.

Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and pour enough batter in to cover the bottom of the pan. It should be a little thicker than crepes, but not to much. It's easiest to spread it if you pick the pan up while you're pouring the batter and swirl it around.

Wait until the batter starts to set and turn, bake until golden on both sides.

Tip for extra light batter: Replace about 1/4-1/3 of the milk with sparkling mineral water.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Very nice pancakes Sylvie! I am a sugar and lemon fan myself. But then I do like maple syrup.... and lemon curd... and nutella... and... Oh well - you get the picture!!

Marie Rayner said...

Your pancakes look great Sylvie. I love lemon and sugar myself!